Craig's Travel Log

I have wanted to go to backpack Europe ever since my dad began telling me stories of the trip he took when he was in college. I am taveling with my friends from high school and earlier: Ryan, Matt, Brett, Wes, and Scotty. I am so thankful and privileged to finally be on my way. What will I experience once I go? There's only one way to find out.

Location: Escondido, California, United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Nice- We (Matt and I) got to Nice in the morning after a night train. We got tickets for 2 nights later for a train to FLorence. We found a hostel and checked in. I was still feeling pretty horrible, but as soon as we checked in we had to leave because the hostel closes from 11-3. I decided it was time to get some medicine for whatever my sickness was so I went down to a pharmacy (they're everywhere) and tried to esplain to the lady what was wrong with me and why I was sick. I got the medicine, took it, and went down to the beach with Matt. Not a fan of the stone-covered beaches. The water was really warm though, and it made me feel so much better. we chilled there for a while and headed back to our hostel. I was hungry, and after spotting a McDonald's, I decided it sounded good and went for it. A big mac, fries, and a coke. It may not have been the best decision, but it made me feel bettter for the moment. After getting back to our hotel I took a long nap. I awoke, showered and headed downstairs to find Matt jawwing with some other travelers. I hung out with them for a while as well, and then tried to go out with them. After about 20 minutes of walking, I was feeling bad again so I went home and to bed.

The next daywe checked out of our hotel and then headed to Monte Carlo. It was cool to see some of the nice yachts in the harbor and cool cars on the road. We also got to see the famous Monte Carlo Casino. I still wan't feeling that well so I went back to the train station and waited while Matt and our Danish friend Matias went and explored a bit more of the Island. After heading back to Nice we went back to our hostel where our bags were and hung out until we had to leave. We grabbed dinner and got on our train to Florence. The train left Nice a little after 9 and got to Pisa at 3:30am, where we had to transfer and then go the rest of the way to Florence, arriving some time after 6. Needless to say it was a long train ride as we had seats in a cabin. Matt was able to sleep because there was no one sitting in from of me but I wasn't so lucky and didn't manage much sleep at all. We finally cruised into Florence where I proceeded to sleep in the train station for about 3 hours.


Post a Comment

<< Home