Craig's Travel Log

I have wanted to go to backpack Europe ever since my dad began telling me stories of the trip he took when he was in college. I am taveling with my friends from high school and earlier: Ryan, Matt, Brett, Wes, and Scotty. I am so thankful and privileged to finally be on my way. What will I experience once I go? There's only one way to find out.

Location: Escondido, California, United States

Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's been a long week We left San Sebastian with hopes of the road less traveled and better weather. We started off by heading to Pamplona, which is, of course, the site of the famous running of the bulls. Because of our travel choices we missed the festival and bull running but decided to check it out anyway. It was cool to walk down the path of the bulls and see the how the town looked empty, but someday it would be fun to go back for the festival. We wanted to camp in the foothills of the Pyrenees somewhere, so we took a bus to a town called Javier, where we saw a sweet castle and then walked 5km to the next town and then 2 or 3 more to try and find a campsite by a beautiful lake. Just as we were taking a dip, we heard thunder and lightning and decided we better get back indoors (as we have no tents, just a sleeping bag). We then powerwalked the 2 or 3 km back to Yesa and found a nice little hostel where we had a good and dry night's rest.

Since we weren't too fond of camping in the rain, we decided to head for Barcelona. We had to catch a bus in Yesa to a bigger mountain town called Jaca, where it started pouring about 5 minutes after we got there, and then waited in the train station for 2.5 hours to take a train to a tiny city called Tardientas. There, we had to wait another hour or so and then take another train to Barcelona, which was a long train that got delayed, with us ending up arriving in Barcelona at 1245am. We then took a cab from the station to the hostel that we had booked earlier on the phone. It was a crazy day. What was crazier, was that I started feeling sick that morning, with a fever and a swollen throat.

After spending the night in a super hot hostel room, we packed up and went back to the train station to reserve a ticket on a train to Nice. Matt wanted to go out and explore Barcelona, but I was feeling horrible, so we locked our valuables away and I just sat in the train station from 12 to 8, when our train left. When I got up to leave, I noticed by handbag was missing, which means someone had stolen it when I was sitting there, half dead, trying to sleep or pass the time or something. This of course did not make me happy, and I couldn't even try to search for it or look in lost and found because our train was leaving in 5 minutes. Luckily I didn't have my camera or passport or railpass or wallet in there. What I did get stolen was a few maps and postcards, my sunglasses and my Journal, which was the thing I was most upset about. There was nothing I could do now, so I had to move on and be even more careful with all of my belongings. Tonight, I'm off to Nice.


Blogger Aunt Nancy said...

Craig...oh great adventurer...
The the slob sisters are still in their nightgowns at noon and so we thought we would check up on stop is poolside with a margarita..hope you are having as much fun as we are... Don't kiss too many girls or sleep in beds with bedbugs...Love your blogs! H&K Aunt Nancy and your adorable Mom

11:29 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home